Telescopic cylinders provide a long stroke from a very compact retracted length. RAM has experience designing telescopics for a number of industries and applications and can work with you to design a single acting, a single acting/double acting combination, or a double acting design.
SINGLE ACTING Telescopic cylinders are the simplest telescopic design. A single acting cylinder is extended using hydraulic pressure but is retracted using external forces (usually gravity), once the hydraulic pressure is removed.
SINGLE/DOUBLE COMBINATION Telescopic cylinders are a single acting telescopic cylinder where one or more of the smaller stages are double acting. A typical application is a mast raising design on a drilling rig where the load must be pulled over center until gravity can take over to retract the cylinder.
DOUBLE ACTING Telescopic cylinder designs are extended and retracted using hydraulic pressure. A double acting Telescopic cylinder is a more complex design and involves additional sealing within the internal body of the cylinder to seal off the different stages. Passageways are machined into the internal components of the cylinder to allow for proper staging. This type of design is usually utilized when gravity is not available to retract the cylinder.
- Up to 5000 PSI working pressure
- 2 to 5 working sections
- Up to 20” barrel diameter
- Alternative barrel tube stage coatings available including nitride, chrome over nickel, plasma spray
- Stroke lengths up to 480” (40 feet)
- Alternative rod materials available including carbon steel, precision honed, hard chrome plated stages.
- Optional integrated machined piston design
- Steel or ductile internally threaded gland design
- Optional end mounts: trunnion, clevis, tang, cross tube, spherical bearing, custom bushing, cross drilled hole
- Optional integrated valves
- Custom arrangements for port size, type and location
- Seal options: Urethane wiper seals, modern urethane lipped shaft seal, modern urethane one piece static seals, glass filled nylon gland bearing rings, glass filled nylon piston bearing rings, cast iron piston rings, interlocking step-cut reinforced heat stabilized thermoplastic zero leak piston rings, and custom sealing arrangements for high or low temperature, high cycle or continuous duty